… Where We Raise Future Olympians
Our beginner-level Fencing 101 classes introduce new fencers to the Olympic sport of fencing. We believe that a fencer’s first steps on the fencing strip are the most important ones they will ever take. That’s why all our Fencing 101 classes follow Zeta’s unique approach of introducing fencing to children that was developed by Olympic coach and fencing master Zoran Tulum. His unique teaching methods have produced national champions, NCAA champions, world champions, and Olympians. The Academy’s approach to teaching is based on the following principles:
- Age-appropriate teaching: We offer separate classes for every age group so that our coaches can adapt their teaching style to the age and maturity of their students and keep children engaged and challenged at all times. Regardless of the age group, all classes are taught with “real,” Olympic-style fencing weapons and uniforms.
- Small groups: All classes are limited in size. That’s how we guarantee the individual attention every student needs in order to master the complex sport of fencing.
- 90-minute classes: Our classes last 90 minutes because new fencers have to develop various, very different skill sets. We take the time to work on agility and fitness, footwork, bladework, and bouting strategies in every class to develop competent, healthy fencers.
- Sportsmanship and Olympic values: Beyond athletic skills, our classes encompass the traditions and values of the Olympic sport of fencing. Our fencers practice true sportsmanship and become supportive teammates. We teach our students the history and the art of fencing and believe that both are crucial elements of our sport.
- Minimum age of 8 years: Fencing is a challenging sport with rules that can be hard to understand and moves that can be difficult to execute for young children. Because our Fencing 101 classes prepare students for competitive fencing, we recommend to let children under the age of 8 develop their motor skills with age-appropriate workouts and join our program when they are ready.
This class is an introduction to fencing for beginners. Students master the fundamental skills of fencing. While fencers learn about all three disciplines of fencing (épée, foil, sabre), they focus on épée. Each class session consists of seven weekly classes; new students are welcome to join at the beginning of each new session. Students stay in this class for several sessions until our coaches are sure that they are ready to move on to the next level.
All fencing equipment will be provided by the club, but for safety reasons students are required to wear clean fencing shoes, long loose-fitting sweat pants and a T-shirt during class. Please read our full guidelines here.
The class is offered for two different age groups: youth 10/Y10 (ages 8-10) and youth 12/Y12 (ages 11-13). Students 14 and older are welcome to join our Adult Class.
Youth 10: Tuesday 5:00-6:30 pm or Saturday 11:00 am-12:30 pm (pick one day)
Youth 12: Thursday 5:00-6:30 pm or Saturday 12:30-2:00 pm (pick one day)
New fencers can join at the beginning of each session. Class sessions for the 2018-2019 season:
- Session 1: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 – Saturday, October 27, 2018
- Session 2: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 – Saturday, December 22, 2018 (no classes during Thanksgiving break: Monday, November 19 – Sunday, November 25)
- Session 3: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 – Saturday, March 2, 2019 (no classes during school break: Monday, February 18 – Sunday, February 24)
- Session 4: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 – Saturday, April 27, 2019 (no classes during school break: Monday, April 15 – Sunday, April 21)
- Session 5: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 – Saturday, June 15, 2019
You can download the class schedule for the 2018-2019 season here (PDF).
Each 7-week class session costs $280. The class fee includes rental of full fencing equipment that the club will provide.
We offer a family discount for all our classes. The first family member pays the full price, every additional family member receives a 25% discount on class fees. If family members are participating in programs with different fees, the higher-priced program has to be paid in full and the family discount is applied to the lower-priced program.
In order to register, bring or mail the following to Zeta Fencing:
- Completed registration form: Download here or pick one up at the club. We need a completed and hand-signed form. You can either mail in/drop off the hard copy, or email a clearly readable scan/photo.
- Proof of USA Fencing membership: Our insurance requires that all students become members of USA Fencing. A non-competitive membership costs $10 per year. Find more information and detailed instructions here.
- Payment: Please indicate on your registration form which type pf payment you choose. Class payments can be made (1) by check or cash, please hand in with your registration form; (2) automated payments via online banking, please write date of your bank’s confirmation on the registration form, or (3) online credit card or bank payment through PayPal, please click on the button below and write date of payment confirmation on the registration form.
We ask all fencers and parents to read and acknowledge Zeta Fencing’s Code of Conduct. By signing a registration form, you agree to its terms.
Class size is limited, so early registration is recommended. Spots are awarded on a first come, first served basis. We only hold spots for complete registrations with full payment and proof of USA Fencing membership.
You can pay your class fees below, but please remember that we cannot process your registration without a completed registration form in addition to your payment: