… Where Sabre Becomes The Focus
After students have gained a general understanding of fencing and have mastered the basic skills of footwork and blade work in Fencing 101, they will continue fencing in our Intro to Sabre classes. Unlike épée, sabre is a so-called “conventional” fencing weapon and sabre fencers have to understand the concept of priority or “right of way.” Having a thorough knowledge of basic fencing moves and strategies will enable students to not only learn how to handle a sabre, but also to understand how to score touches and referee sabre fencing. That’s why only fencers with prior fencing experience can join this class and coaches’ approval is required for registration.
This class is an introduction to sabre fencing for advanced beginners. Students learn the fundamental skills and concepts of sabre fencing. Each class session consists of seven weekly classes; new students are welcome to join at the beginning of each new session. Students stay in this class for several sessions until our coaches are sure that they are ready to move on to the next level.
All fencing equipment will be provided by the club, but for safety reasons students are required to wear clean fencing shoes, long loose-fitting sweat pants and a T-shirt during class. Please read our full guidelines here.
The Intro to Sabre classes combine youth 10 and youth 12 fencers, so students age 8-13 can participate. It is offered on Friday 5:00-6:30 pm or Saturday 2:30-4:00pm (pick one day).
Class Schedule & Fees
New fencers can join at the beginning of each session. Class sessions for the 2018-2019 season:
- Session 1: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 – Saturday, October 27, 2018
- Session 2: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 – Saturday, December 22, 2018 (no classes during Thanksgiving break: Monday, November 19 – Sunday, November 25)
- Session 3: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 – Saturday, March 2, 2019 (no classes during school break: Monday, February 18 – Sunday, February 24)
- Session 4: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 – Saturday, April 27, 2019 (no classes during school break: Monday, April 15 – Sunday, April 21)
- Session 5: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 – Saturday, June 15, 2019
You can download the class schedule for the 2018-2019 season here (PDF).
Each 7-week class session costs $280. The class fee includes rental of full fencing equipment that the club will provide.
We offer a family discount for all our classes. The first family member pays the full price, every additional family member receives a 25% discount on class fees. If family members are participating in programs with different fees, the higher-priced program has to be paid in full and the family discount is applied to the lower-priced program.
In order to register, bring or mail the following to Zeta Fencing:
- Completed registration form: Download here or pick one up at the club. We need a completed and hand-signed form. You can either mail in/drop off the hard copy, or email a clearly readable scan/photo.
- Proof of USA Fencing membership: Our insurance requires that all students become members of USA Fencing. A non-competitive membership costs $10 per year. Find more information and detailed instructions here.
- Payment: Please indicate on your registration form which type pf payment you choose. Class payments can be made (1) by check or cash, please hand in with your registration form; (2) automated payments via online banking, please write date of your bank’s confirmation on the registration form, or (3) online credit card or bank payment through PayPal, please click on the button below and write date of payment confirmation on the registration form.
We ask all fencers and parents to read and acknowledge Zeta Fencing’s Code of Conduct. By signing a registration form, you agree to its terms.
Class size is limited, so early registration is recommended. Spots are awarded on a first come, first served basis. We only hold spots for complete registrations with full payment and proof of USA Fencing membership.
You can pay your class fees below, but please remember that we cannot process your registration without a completed registration form in addition to your payment: